Masthead
UV Logo
Articles

Item#

Title

Author

Description

Counts

Price

101

First Thousand Feet

The First Thousand Feet at the south end of the Unadilla Valley Railroad at East Guilford NY consisted of the switch from the O&W mainline (literally, New Berlin Junction), a few hundred feet of track and then a large bridge over the Guilford Creek. Read about the New Berlin Branch, how it connected to the O&W mainline and Bridge #1 on the branch.  This is an original story told in text, pictures and a map.  A condensed version of this was published in the Pendragon.

Pages: 4
News clips: 0
Pictures:  11

$3.00

102

Dr. Lewis Rutherfurd Morris

Dr. Lewis Rutherfurd Morris owned of the Unadilla Valley Railroad from 1904 until his death in 1936. This article explores some of Dr. Morris’ personal history and his time as owner of the UV through text, pictures and newspaper articles.

Pages: 5
News clips: 5
Pictures:  9

$3.00

103

The Hoxie Right of Way Dispute

Samuel L. Hoxie refused to donate or sell the right of way across his land to the railroad. The railroad took him to court — and lost.  The Utica & Unadilla Valley Road ended up reincorporating as the Unadilla Valley Railroad to resolve the problem. The intriguing question which is not answered here is how did Hoxie — or his lawyer — know that the original Utica & Unadilla Valley corporation was not valid?  Here is the scoop, entirely from newspaper articles.  A condensed version of this was printed in the Pendragon.

Pages: 3
News clips: 16
Pictures:  0

$3.00

104

The Grand Opening Celebration

The celebration of the grand opening of the Unadilla Valley Railroad in 1895 was the biggest thing to hit New Berlin in years — perhaps the biggest of all time.  Read all about it in this newspaper article from the Brookfield Courier.

Pages: 3
News clips: 1
Pictures:  0

$3.00

105

Efforts to Extend the UV to Oneonta

Did you know that there was a fairly serious effort to extend the Unadilla Valley Railroad to Oneonta?? Some money was raised, some surveys were done, some plans were filed.  No extension was ever completed.  But there was enough interest in it that it is fun to read about.  Read the whole story from news articles and court summaries.

Pages: 2
New clips: 14
Pictures:  0

$3.00

106

Head On Collision

On June 25, 1924, the gasoline-powered Brill Car was involved in a head on collision with a freight train in Scott’s Cut just south of Bridgewater.  This resulted in the death of two people and injuries to four others.  Lawsuits were filed, decided and appealed.   One suit was appealed all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States.  Read all about it from newspaper articles and court summaries.

Pages: 9
News clips: 12
Court sums: 4
Pictures:  0

$3.00

107

Sweet’s Crossing Collision

On October 5, 1929, an automobile carrying four ladies returning from Morris to Brookfield was struck by the gasoline-powered M-1 Brill car at Sweet’s Crossing.  There were many injuries and a lawsuit.  Read all about it from newspaper articles from that time.

Pages: 2
News clips: 5
Pictures:  2

$3.00

108

Lesser Known Accidents

A number of accidents occurred on the UV over the years.  Two of the most famous, the Head On collision and accident at Sweet’s Crossing resulted in lawsuits and are documented separately.  This package covers the other accidents that we could find.  The title should not be construed to mean that these accidents were less important, only that they did not receive as much publicity.  Read about these accidents from newspaper articles from that time.

Pages: 3
News clips: 9
Pictures:  0

$3.00

109

The UV Gravel Pit

In about 1928, Dr. Lewis Morris, then the owner of the UV, came up with the idea of building a gravel plant to generate business and traffic for the railroad.  In 1931, the UV constructed and opened a large gravel, stone crushing and sand plant on the former Howard Whitten farm on Route 8 just south of South Edmeston.  It was said to be the second largest such plant in the US.  Unfortunately, for reasons not entirely clear, the state declared that the gravel did not meet state specifications.  It was closed only a short time later and dismantled.  Some years later, a South Edmeston youth fell into a pit that was part of the operation and was killed.  His parents sued the state (who then owned the building), but the case was dismissed.  The story of the Gravel Pit in newspaper articles and pictures.  A condensed version of this was published in the Pendragon.

Pages: 4
News clips: 6
Pictures: 2

$3.00

110

A Short History
of the UV

The Unadilla Valley Railroad was in operation from 1895 to 1960.  After it closed down, a short history of the railroad was published in three issues of the New Berlin Gazette and was reprinted in other regional newspapers.  Those three articles as reprinted in the Brookfield Courier are included here.

Pages: 4
News clips: 3
Pictures:  0

$3.00

201

Colorful Central NY ‘Bonesetters’

by Hobie Morris

Reprint

Sweet’s Crossing, on the Unadilla Valley Railroad south of West Edmeston just below the Madison — Chenango county line, was named after the Sweet family.  A number of the Sweets were ‘bonesetters’, people who took care of fractures, sprains and dislocations.  Locally the most famous was Ira Sweet.  While he was revered up and down the valley, and treated over 40,000 people over his career, he was often in legal trouble.  Read this interesting story from the Madison Courier.

Pages: 3
News clips: 1
Pictures:  2

$3.00

202

The Buckwheat & Dandelion
by G. William Beardslee
Reprint

In the bucolic Unadilla Valley central New York, the rise and fall of a short line railroad became a microcosm of the fate of the region’s — and America’s — railroads.  Enjoy this short article from the New York Archives magazine.

Pages: 4
Pictures:  5

$3.00

203

Tour of the O&Ws New Berlin Branch, East Guilford to New Berlin NY

By Wilma & Tom Gray

Reprint

An excellent detailed look at the New Berlin Branch including track characteristics, distances and route, stations on the line, history and a number of interesting people.  Reprinted from the Chenango Land Trust.

Pages: 13
Pictures:  9

$5.00

Copyright 2014-2017 by the Unadilla Valley Railway Society -- Last updated 06/30/17 04:28:51 PM